Saturday, October 27, 2007

JETS NEDC



Ok. So every year, I do this JETS T-E-A-M-S thing where we take a team to NJIT and solve problem sets relating to real life. Which I absolutely enjoy. But when I heard about JETS' NEDC competition, where kids actually get the opportunity to build something to help out others, I jumped on it. I got a team adviser, and signed lots of kids on.

I had no idea what I was taking on.

It's only been a couple of weeks, and already I've learned so much. Here's what I got so far:

1. Engineering isn't only math. There is actual talking and communication going on that refers to real-life problems that people have. It actually helps to have good writing and speaking skills.

2. Not all teachers will yell at you if you zoom down the hallway in a swivel chair (see video). Especially if he's the head of the Physics department.

3. Drawing skills are not necessary to design things. Boxes and stick figures are awesome.

4. Sleep is overrated. Especially when you're researching something amazing.

5. Coffee is good.

Yup, that's it. I also learned that in this competition, there is little room for error. Your design has to be almost perfect, because there is very little time to build it before the deadline. It's certainly a large task, but I think "The Masters of the Tools" (our team name) can handle it. I mean really. Can you travel that fast on a swivel chair?

No comments: